Friday, March 29, 2013

Snow Beer

It's been a loooong day. The day started at 2.30am. Woke up and straight away the long drive up to Ipoh. By the time I finish work at 10pm, both legs are so sore they are screaming for a good massage. But too bad, shops closes early in Ipoh. It was already 10.30pm by the time I reached the hotel and after a quick shower, we went for some makan & minum in one of my favourite in Ipoh. The locals called it "Yi Nai Kai" or loosely translated from Cantonese as Mistress Street (actual name is Jalan Bijih Timah as reported by Maps). The shop name is Kafe Sun Yoon Wah. Actually there're 2 shops facing each other. The other one is called Kafe Yoon Wah. Sun stands for new I guess. There're tables inside but we decided to take one of the table outside. Most of the shops are already closed and the streets are quiet. Nice...
 
Full moon...
 
We quickly order some simple dishes and of course, the highlight of the meal, the famous Ipoh snow beer.
 
Look at how cold the beer is. Tempting, so inviting...
 
Other than Ipoh, I have only found this in another restaurant in Cheras but somehow, Ipoh's one taste better. So what is snow beer if you must ask. No, it's not ice blended beer. It's a way, a very good way to enjoy your beer. I've actually succeeded in making my own snow beer at home after a few attempts, so I'm sort of an expert with snow beer. There's a bit of science to this. First the beer need to be really cooled down to just about it's freezing point but not frozen solid. Then it's quickly poured into a frozen mug. Now the key word is quickly coz it's the formation of foam that turn the beer into snow beer. Sort of how your air conditioning unit works. When the gas starts to expand, it quickly cools down the beer and since it's already at freezing point, it turns to ice / snow. I've even done it with Coke before. Well, enough of science. Mail me if you want the tips to make snow beer. They served all sort of snow beer ranging from Carlsberg to Heineken, Skol, etc. I've even tasted Hoegarden before. The key to enjoying it is to drink it quickly, taking big gulps and...buuuuurp.... ah... bliss.....
 
Our food same later. We ordered the "Man Sar Siew Yok Mee", meehoon soup and a salt & pepper fried sotong. The "Man Sar Siew Yok Mee" is actually stir fried wantan mee (egg noodles) with roast pork. If you love wantan mee, you would love this one. The noodles tasted great although I find the roast pork a bit too dry for me.
 
Man Sar Siew Yok Mee
The meehoon soup is nothing much to shout about but with the belacan chilli sauce, it tasted great. Or maybe I'm just hungry... :-) I think I kaw tiem at least 3 plates of the chilli. I luuuuuuv belacan chilli.
 
Meehoon Soup
The salt & pepper fried sotong comes with a small pile of pickled papaya, the slightly sweet one, not the sour type. It was garnished with lots of spring onions. It was nice. Nothing really special but just simply nice. It's one of those dish that's not really unique or stand out or special but tasted just nice, think Maggi mee.... 
 
Salt & Pepper Fried Sotong
 
BTW, there's always some promotion going on there with the beer. This time around, I'm given a lottery ticket. I've never bought a lottery ticket before, now I have to go find out how to check whether I've become an instant millionaire... :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...